There are varieties of dumplings all over the world. In Korea, dumplings are called as “Mandu(만두)” and favored as a light meal or snack. We eat Mandu all year around, but it’s a tradition to make it for New Year’s Day to eat with Tteokguk(떡국), rice cake soup(Refer to the previous posting). We can make fillings with various ingredients, pork, shrimp, potato noodles, kimchi and other vegetables. My mom’s recipe is a relatively simple one which includes only pork and three vegetables.
[Ingredients] minced pork( 돼지고기 목살, cuts of neck), napa cabbage(배추, baechu), onions(양파), green onions(대파), garlic(마늘), salt, sugar, soy sauce, ground pepper, water, and dumpling skins(만두피)
1. Mix minced cuts of pork neck(1kg) with 1 spoon of minced garlic, 1 spoon of soy sauce, 2 spoons of water, half spoon of sugar and a little salt and ground pepper.
And mix well all the ingredients with your hands.
2. Boil leaves of two nappa cabbages in hot water and cut them in small pieces. Put the small pieces of the cabbage in a bag with tiny holes and squeeze tight.
3. Chop 7 onions and 6~7 green onions into small pieces.
4. Mix the seasoned pork, squeezed nappa cabbage, chopped onions and green onions with a little salt and ground pepper.
(Please refer to the finished filling in the picture above.)
These are dumpling skins made of flour and glutinous rice powder. We used to make them by making a dough and rolling out, but we just purchased ready-made dumpling skins at the market this time.
2. Put one spoonful of the filling in the middle of the skin.
3. Fold the skin to make a half moon form and seal tightly.
4. (optional) Make a few waves or folds on the edge.
When you make many dumplings at one time, you need to store them properly. Put the dumplings in a row on a tray and sprinkle some potato starch on them.
And freeze them as they are in the refrigerator right away so that they do not stick together. After they get frozen, store them in a plastic bag or a container in the freezer.
We can boil, bake, steam or deep-fry dumplings. My mom usually boil them. When the water begins boiling, add some dumplings and boil them until they begin to float to the surface.